Vonnegut Quotes

Still and all, why bother? Here's my answer. Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.

The year was 2081, and everyone was finally equal.

What is flirtatiousness but an argument that life must go on?

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Webb Chapter 2

In Webb's second chapter he continues his explanation of cultural studies based learning with a chapter on Homelessness. Now, after our discussion on Monday, I'm very cognizant of the fact that once again Webb is talking about lessons that worked for him in a college setting, but I think that the lessons and the literature he teaches using homelessness are easily adaptable to a high school setting.

The greatest thing about teaching about homelessness, I think, is the great potential it has for promoting activism in the surrounding community, because once the students realize just how many people out there are in fact homeless more of them will likely be drive to help. It was interesting to see how Webb used texts that I normally hate(ugh Dickens) to drive classroom discussion, and I think it's a better use of some specific literary works.

It makes sense to me that an entire British lit course could be taught in this manner because of how big of an issue homelessness and the poor in general were in Britain and Ireland, and a unit could be easily comprised of works by Swift and Dickens and Orwell.

It's good that he mentions that he still puts a lot of focus on some of the literary themes and motifs behind these works because I think even with a unifying theme I wouldn't be able to handle not covering the basics.

1 comment:

msj529 said...

I agree that teaching about homelessness can promote activism for homeless people, and especially for teaching around Kalamazoo, or other urban areas it could be very positive because there is such a high homeless rate.
I also agree with you that teachers should use other, specific literary works to teach about homelessness, even though Dickens does work for this. It is nice to get some new text in the mix, and i think that this also goes along with expanding the canon, and making that more wide spread.