Vonnegut Quotes

Still and all, why bother? Here's my answer. Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.

The year was 2081, and everyone was finally equal.

What is flirtatiousness but an argument that life must go on?

Monday, September 17, 2007

Wilhelm Chapter 3

The third chapter of Wilhelm's book was fantastic. It was really interesting to see the different ways he was able to get into the heads of the students and the different results of his research. Mainly I thought it was hugely beneficial to hear about the amazingly complicated things his different students were doing to read, and at the same time the chapter had me thinking about my own reading styles. It strange because thinking about it now, I've always been an avid reader but I don't think I do nearly any at all of the kinds of things some of these kids do when they read. It did have me wondering how many students actually are like that. I realize he's mainly taking the things he found from some of his most helpful students but it still skews things because it's hard to keep in mind that there are probably plenty of students out there that don't have any of the same reactions at all when they read.
I'm amazed by the complexity of the SRI exercise and I've already been able to think of many ways to incorporate this method into my own kinds of teaching, and the different ways it can be used to help students improve their reading skills. His classifications are a bit technical, but the very specific anecdotes he gives from Ron, Cora and Joanne are fascinating.

No comments: