Vonnegut Quotes

Still and all, why bother? Here's my answer. Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.

The year was 2081, and everyone was finally equal.

What is flirtatiousness but an argument that life must go on?

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Wilhem Book

I thought when reading the different books for this semester that it was a great thing for us to have started with Wilhelm, because in a lot of ways it seems like a much more basic book than the other two, but it's not any less beneficial. For me Wilhelm was hugely helpful in seeing into exactly the kinds of problems students are having when they read, which is huge because it's not really something I've ever experienced. Not only was I able to read the different accounts Wilhelm gave about these struggling students, but I was also able to take those readings and use them to better understand the things my little brother is struggling with in his reading.
I think for using it in class I'm going to try and keep in mind all the different movement and picture oriented activities that Wilhelm laid out for us, and hopefully I'll actually get to use some of them next semester. It's just so damn fascinating to me that some of these students just didn't think reading was interesting because they couldn't bring the things they knew about the world into their reading. Also, I think out of the three books we read the student responses from this book were the most genuine, and that really helped in the enjoyment of reading it. Because of how much I liked reading the book I don't think it should really be taught any differently, and I hope it's used in future classrooms because I really think it helped me a lot.

No comments: